Monday, October 02, 2006

Penny from Heaven

by Jennifer L. Holm

I don't know where to begin with this book, except to say it's wonderful, and you should read it. It's about a lot of things - a girl named Penny, her Italian relatives, the Dodgers, and butter pecan ice cream. It really makes you stop and think of how much research the author must've done to write this book, because you feel like you're right there in the 50's along with all the characters. Like it's happening now. It made me laugh a little and cry a little, and smile a whole lot.

Every time it rains, it rains
Pennies from heaven.
Don't you know each cloud contains
Pennies from heaven.
Trade them for a package of
Sunshine and flowers.
If you want the things you love,
You must have showers.
So when you hear it thunder,
Don't run under a tree.
There'll be pennies from heaven for you and me.

~From "Pennies from Heaven" by John Burke and Arthur Johnston

5 comments:

Traci said...

Erin, you find the greatest books!! I don't know how you do it!!!!

*~*Muff*~* said...

Wow...that one looks really good

Sookie said...

I've never really been into fifties books, but this one looks cool.
I'll see if they have it from the library.
Awesome find!

Jon Cox said...

That sounds REALLY GREAT!!! :o)

Sherry said...

It was a sweet book. Thanks for having me read it. I like that it was written in present tense. M