Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Faeries of Dreamdark: Blackbringer

by Laini Taylor

How many young adult fantasies have you read with a fairy as the protagonist? Stop and think a moment. Having some trouble, aren't you?

That's what makes Faeries of Dreamdark different from any other fairy story. The main character is a fairy. She's a young (in human years, that is), spirited lassie named Magpie Windwitch. The ensnaring and destruction of devils is her trade . . . devils that clumsy humans are (unknowingly) setting free from captivity. When a dark, mysterious creature - that might not even be a devil - enters Dreamdark, Magpie and her crow friends really have cause for worry. And fear.

For some reason, this book strongly reminded me of the Redwall series. It had the same feel to it as those stories. It took me a little while to get into the book, but once I did I became totally immersed. From the halfway point to the end in particular, I had a hard time setting the book down . . . it was so exciting and good! Faeries of Dreamdark is humorous and thoughtful, and it has a unique kind of magical style to it. From its funny parts to its sad parts, it's obvious that Laini Taylor is quite the powerful storyteller. Despite the slowish beginning, I would highly recommend this book. I had loads of fun with it. Bring on the sequel!

**Originally posted on WORD blog

3 comments:

Traci said...

Oh I remember this book, you showed it to me when I was over there! I should definently read it!

Bohae said...

Sounds great :) I've read several Redwall books, and I must say that they were good, although a bit slow at some parts...very similar story-lines for each book. But they're rather addictive, and this book sounds really great :)

Sookie said...

Wow! Sounds great!