Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Curse Dark As Gold

by Elizabeth C. Bunce

A Curse Dark as Gold is a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin. I'm not going to say anything else, plot-wise.

I loved this book so, so much. Retold fairy tales are my favorite book genre, so I expected to like it, but I flat-out adored Curse. I'd never read a retelling of Rumplestiltskin before. I was chatting about the book with Sarah, and we decided that one of the things we loved was how you're not sure if there's magic afoot at all. It's all just slightly vague enough to make you wonder. You think maybe there's really magic, yet you're not quite sure . . . which puts you in the same position as the main character! And when Jack Spinner first appeared . . . ooh what a powerful moment.

I like how the author mixed some good in with the bad. It could've easily been one of those books that are just plain depressing cause so many bad things happen. But it wasn't. I liked the character of the uncle, I thought he was really interesting/funny/3D. I mean, he was horrible; but I rather liked him as a character. Charlotte was such a wonderful character. Sometimes I just wanted to shake her! But I could understand where she was coming from at the same time. I also liked Rosie . . . I liked how she didn't stay the same the whole time; you know, the fiesty little sister who is the sidekick. She grew and changed.

I wonder how many times the word "gold" or "golden" appears in the book!? Golden hair and golden fields and Gold Valley and gold gold gold . . . it was obviously a major theme in it. I love themes in books. :)

Curse was a lovely, incredible book . . . one of the best fairy tale retellings I've ever read. Look for it in March 2008. I'll be posting an interview with the author closer to the release date, so keep your eyes peeled for that, too. . . .

20 comments:

Felicity said...

Wow! This looks great!

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

What I was going to say before my computer went all crazy, was that this book sounds great. I'll definitely make a point of seeking this one out.

The Page Flipper said...

I've never read a retelling before, but I think I might have to read this one!

Alyssa said...

I've been dying to read this one! Must...find...copy...
:-)

Em said...

I've been wanting to read this one for awhile. I love reading twists on old fairy tales!

Anidori-Isilee said...

I can't wait to read this. I so so so can't wait to read this. I adore the cover and what little I know about this. I love retold fairy tales. It's just about the coolest genre (or sub-genre) ever.

Page Flipper: No retellings? *falls over dead* So many of my favorite books are fairy tale retellings.

Sarah Miller said...

WOOOOT!

Anonymous said...

Wow...this is fantastic! I'm off to her blog to let her know this good news!

Laura Manivong
(a newbie lj blogger who can't figure out how to post on accounts other than lj without being anonymous...arg!)

Ink Mage said...

Hurray! I'm always glad to hear of another good book to read, and this sounds great. :-) Some of the other Rumpelstiltskin retellings I've read have been really bizarre, so I'm extra excited about it!

Noel De Vries said...

I am SO jealous, Erin! This one's been on my wish list for months. Out of curiousity, how would you compare the tone of Curse to something like McKinley's Beauty?

Rosie said...

I really can't wait to read it, I love retold fairy tales!!

Sookie said...

OOHHH!!! I want to read this!

Jennie said...

Oooo... I'll have to check this out! The only other Rumplestiltskin retelling I've read is Witch's Boy which left me a bit dissapointed. I'll have to make a note of this one!

HipWriterMama said...

Sounds great!

Traci said...

March 2008.......goodness me I have to wait THAT long. :)

teenbookreview said...

Oh, wow, this sounds fantastic. But such a long wait to read it!

Sherry said...

March isn't that long. We'll just have to wait, but it does sound good.

a. fortis said...

Great review! I'll be posting it on the Cybils blog this week. :) (Also, can't wait to read the book!!)

kimberly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.