Thursday, May 15, 2008

Rapunzel's Revenge

by Shannon and Dean Hale
Illustrated by Nathan Hale


SQUEE!

Somehow, despite getting all hyped and excited for this book, my brain managed to bypass the fact that it's a retelling of a fairy tale. I was already anticipating it for so many reasons, but when that little fact (harhar) finally hit me as I started reading, I just about burst with glee.

This is the most gorgeous graphic novel ever . . . the illustrations are jaw-droppingly amazing. Seriously, the only reason it took me a longer time than usual to read this book was that I kept lingering over every page. I allowed my eyes to devour each picture before moving on, not wanting to miss a single detail. Nathan Hale did a breathtaking job. The premise of the story was so clever. The dialogue sparkled. I laughed through the whole book, and maybe even cried a little. . . . Shannon and Dean have great chemistry in their writing.

And you know what? I can honestly say that I would be raving about this just as much even if Shannon Hale hadn't been one of the authors. :) It is completely and utterly fantastic.

18 comments:

TadMack said...

Oh, man, I JOIN YOU on the squee! The cover looks fantabulous! And I so admire people who can cowrite. I want to figure out how they do that someday! Yay for you and thanks for the review! Can't wait to read it!

Q said...

I WANT IT.

Patrice said...

That looks really cool! I'm not really into graphic novels, but I might read this one.

Nerd Goddess said...

YAY! I can't wait to read it. :)

Sarah Miller said...

I'm still managing not to be jealous, but I'd LOVE a peek at the innards.

Not even a snapshot..?

hwalk said...

Wow. I want to read it!

Hannah said...

Thats sounds so cool!!! ;)

Edge said...

Ooohhh...Oooohhhh!

cuileann said...

Sigh sigh. Bliss and waitingness.

Erin said...

Sarah, there's a sneak peak here: http://oinks.squeetus.com/2006/01/graphic_novel_x.html

Although I don't think any of those exact images ended up in the final book. And Punzie's hair is red, not blonde! And Jack looks way different, too.

Traci said...

*scream* that is so so so cool!!!!! ;)

bookbutterfly said...

Me want!!! Erin, you are super lucky! I've never read a graphic novel, but b/c it's Shannon, RR is a total exception. ;) I can't wait until August!

readergirlz said...

Thanks for the review, Miss Erin! It sounds wonderful.

Lorie Ann Grover ~rgz diva/author

Little Willow said...

Do I see RED HAIR and BRAIDS? WOO HOO! Just like Alice and Cinderella and a zillion other characters who DO NOT have to be blonde. Go Rapunzel and go Hales! Thanks, Erin, for the sneak peek.

Framed said...

This may be my first graphic novel ever. I love Hale and the illustrations look fantastic.

Sookie said...

Oh my goodness!
I cannot wait to read this!!!!

shannon hale said...

YAY! Thanks, Miss Erin. I can't tell you what a joy it is to hear some hoorays for this baby. Nate is a genius and worked so hard, and I'm so excited and anxious for this one to have a good reception.

Gabrielle said...

I don't know if I have ever READ a graphic novel before "American Born Chinese" last month; but ABC just blows onn's mind away in general, so I am up for the next Big Thing in graphicalia.

Then again, Shannon could write an ad for toothbrush bristle remover and I would still check it out of the library.