Friday, April 04, 2014

hypothetically speaking

1 Say you’re making a playlist, and the first song you choose is The Beatles, “I’ve Just Seen a Face.” What do you choose to follow that? Can anything follow that?

 2 Say that you know what will make you smarter, and wittier, and you actively reject that in favor of getting your hands dirty, as they say. What will happen?

 3 Say you want something and you don’t do anything about it. Perhaps you’re overwhelmed by the feeling of not knowing how to do it, or, you really don’t know how to do it. What then?

 4 Say you actually go up to a person you barely know, look them in the eye, and say, “I want to get to know you.” Without any of the usual fumbling you-seem-like-a-cool-persons or hey-that-thing-we-talked-about-once-let’s-talk-about-it-more. If you just say something that plainly, that honestly. What follows, what will happen, what then?

2 comments:

Odessa said...

Love this! All of it. Especially #3

Ahmad Amani said...

Hello Dear Erin,

My name is Ahmad from the Middle East. I would be so glad if you could read and review Big Fish.

A part of Matthew G. Sherwin's review on Amazon: "Big Fish is an excellent children’s story, a type of folktale written by Ahmad Amani—and he did the drawings for the book as well! Ahmad is a most talented man; I myself (even as an adult) was captivated by the short story and I liked his drawings which at first seem rather simplistic but take on a certain charm that I really came to appreciate."

Big Fish now is free on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JLI53PO